Friday, December 7, 2007

Iguazú

Another day, another bottle of wine, another natural wonder. Ahhh life is good.

Iguazú is one of those places where the world meets. You can hear every language and you can see every type of person here. We have all come for the same thing to view the spectacular falls. I don’t know so much about the falls like how much water goes over in a day or how large they are. I have been enjoying my trip too much to read up or ask too many questions. I did ask one question though, “has anyone ever gone over the falls in a barrow or walked a tight rope over the falls?” I only got strange looks and an uncertain ‘no’.

Vance planned this part of the vacation and I was happy just to go along with what he had planned and I looked forward to seeing the birds of the area. I laughed histarically when upon entering the park the attendant said "Chuck Norris!, Pero mas gordo". It´s been a while since someone called Vance Chuck. Vance was insulted, I wonder if Chuck would be.

We walked around the park which is very well organized, the most organized area of Argentina in my experience. It has to be to handle the number of visitors to the park. We took an exciting boat ride under the falls which completely drenches everyone, we walked the trails, rode the small train, looked at the birds and lizards and coatis. Finally we walked out to the Garganta del Diablo and I was absolutely blown away! I don’t think I have ever seen such a beautiful sight as I did yesterday staring down into the falls.

The falls are horseshoe shaped and the volume of water pouring down is immense. You cannot see the bottom of the falls for the mist that rises up from below and creates a perfect rainbow below us. The Great Dusky Swifts of Iguazú are everywhere, hundreds fill the air, the mist and the water, flying in circles, then in streams, in unison then haphazardly. I imagine that entry into paradise must look like this, rainbows, mist and birds to great you, what troubled me was I was gazing down into the devil´s throat.

No comments: